How to Start Acting?
May 28, 2018 Written by Ayushi International Actors
How to Start Acting?
Have you ever stood in front of a mirror enacting a scene from your favorite movie, or visualized yourself making the acceptance speech with an Oscar in your hand? Instead of dreaming about how to become an actor, start learning about how to start acting career. Although it is definitely hard work and can take many years before you land a role, there are basic steps you can take to begin your acting career.
- Read books on acting. A good way to introduce you into the world of acting is by reading books written by actors or acting teachers. You can learn about how to start acting techniques and methods, how auditions are conducted, or what the best ways to get started are.
- Study great performances. While acting classes are a great place for actors to start, you can learn so much from watching classic films. Each film can teach you a different acting skill such as instinct, character development, stage directing, blocking, and physicality. These are just some of the essential tools and skills you will need to learn as an actor, and a great way to begin learning them is by watching professionals practice them.
- Consider your schedule. Acting is very time consuming, and if you seriously want to know how to start acting career, you will need to dedicate more time to it than just the weekends. If you currently have a job with demanding hours, you may want to consider getting a job with fewer hours, or a more flexible schedule.
- Be financially prepared. Many aspiring actors are surprised at how time-consuming it is to constantly go out on auditions, memorize lines, and develop their acting career. Once you realize how much time you need to dedicate toward acting, you may want to cut back at work or be tempted to leave your job altogether to focus on acting. Before you make any drastic decisions about your job, make sure you have hefty savings account to fall back on. You do not want to find yourself looking for acting work, and not able to pay your bills.
- Join acting classes and workshops. With a little searching around online, you can find acting schools near you that offer a wide range of classes. Before joining the first class you come across, do some research about the school and teachers to make sure they can offer you what you are looking for. It is important to take classes that teach you the basics of acting so that you can develop a strong foundation to build from.
- Talk to other actors. This will allow you to find out what it is really like to go out on auditions and pursue a career in acting. Speaking with both working actors, and those who have been struggling to find work may be enlightening, and help to mentally prepare you for what is to come. You may also learn tips and get great advice from people who have already been down the road you are just beginning.
- Decide what type of acting you want to pursue. There are many different types of acting jobs available, and deciding which type you want will narrow your focus and help you find what you are looking for. Here are some different fields of acting to think about:
- The film, TV on prime-time, or soap operas
- Television hosting