We are accepting applications for the next academic session starting on 31st Aug 2020 at B-11, IMM BUILDING .QUTAB INSTITUTIONAL AREA NEW DELHI-110016.
1. No of seats: We have 20 seats to be filled on interview basis for Indian students.
2. Eligibility Criteria: Minimum qualification is 10+2 for Diploma and Graduation in any Discipline for PG DIPLOMA. The main difference between both the diploma will be in terms of additional classes on soft skills which will be offered to the 10+2 passing out students. If you are 10+2, you will be getting a ‘Diploma in Film Direction & Screenplay Writing ’ and if you are a graduate, you will be getting ‘PG Diploma in Film Direction & Screenplay Writing ’.The course content and classroom remains the same for the main course content .
3. Selection criteria: Selection to all the courses is done on an interview basis. The next interview will be conducted on 14th Aug 2020. Interview results will be declared within ten days of the interview date. The selected candidates are required to submit the full fee or half within fifteen days from the date of declaration of the result. Due to Covid lockdown, if a student will not be able to come personally for the interview, we will conduct a telephonic interview.
4. How to apply: The application form is available on our website (https://www.craftfilmschool.com/applyonline) for applying on line and downloading. If you are applying online you need to pay Rs 1,000/- by Debit Card . If you are coming personally to CRAFT you can also pay cash.
5.Last date to apply: 5th Aug 2020
6. How to prepare for the interview: The main intention of the interview board is to see whether the student is really passionate about the field of study he/she has applied for. For more details, pl refer the attachment on how to prepare for the interview
7. Hostel facilities: We don’t have a hostel, but we help u to find economical accommodation near the institute. Generally room cost between Rs. 4000-4500/- per month which on sharing basis will cost around Rs. 2,000/- 2500 per month. There is food joint near CRAFT where most of the students have their lunch and dinner. For girl candidates, we help in finding P.G accommodation which cost around Rs 3500/-per month. Food is separate and there is Tiffin arrangement available.
8. Class timing: “LEARN BY DOING“ is the main philosophy of the Center. Classes take place 5-days in a week. Screening of movies- 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and classes are from 10:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. with 30 minutes tea break.
9. Course Fee: The total fee in lump sum mode is Rs.1,25, 000/. In installment method it becomes
Rs.1,30, 000/. The first installment is 50% of the total fee at the time of submitting the admission form.
1) 25% as the 2nd installment has to be paid after one month from the date of commencement of the session.
2) Balance 25% as the 3rd installment has to be paid in the 2nd month from the commencement of the session.
10. Course content :
In direction & screenplay , you learn the following basic fundamentals :
1. Basics of Screenplay Writing
2. Film Appreciation
3. Aesthetics of Editing, Sound, Shot taking
4. Appreciation of Music, Art Direction, costume etc.
5. Budgeting, Marketing and so on.
In CRAFT You also get exposure to watch International ‘world cinema’ to get a better understanding of different kinds of cinema and the cinematic language.
At CRAFT, we have the following practices.
1. We have a daily film screening program from 8.00 am to 10.00 am wherein students after the screening discuss the film and some finer aspects of cinema and make notes of their critical analysis and email them to us. This is their daily home work.
2. Since a director is the captain of the ship we at CRAFT make sure that our students have a sound working knowledge of all departments. In the 5 days week, there are 3-lectures of 2 hours each and 2 dedicated days of camera and editing practical to understand the technical aspects.
3. Please note carefully, most of the lectures are conducted by guest faculty who are domain experts. There are 4- workshops of 3- days each to be conducted by Bombay based film makers( Director/Screenplay writers) in an academic year.
4. Also there would be 3- workshops by Bombay based professionals on technical aspects of camera/sound/editing for one day each combined with sound recording/cinematography students.
5. These fundamentals along with the exposure to the cinematic language and world cinema equip you to work on your very own 3- short diploma films in the 2nd Semester of 6 months which on course of completion become your portfolio. These films can be used to showcase your talent when you start to look for work as an assistant in the industry or if you are thinking of doing some independent work on the digital platform compared to a newbie you come armed with a formal training in cinema direction.
1. Fiction film: maximum duration 15 Mins
2. Documentary Film : maximum duration 15 Mins
3. Public service Ad Film: maximum duration 15 Mins.
Institute will provide camera/light/sound studio/editing studio for making the projects. Students need to find their own actors and arrange locations to be shot in DELHI-NCR region.
11. CRAFT’s Legal Status and Its Affiliation: CRAFT is registered as the nonprofit making public charitable trust with sub-Registrar in Delhi Govt. and offer autonomous Diploma courses. CRAFT was established on 6th March 2006 and it is our 12th year of operation.
12. AICTE APPROVAL?
Degree / Diploma / Certificate / AICTE approved, affiliated etc.
In this country, no university offers the “bachelor or master degree in Film Direction / or any other specialization media courses like direction, event mgmt, editing…..etc”.
Nor do the AICTE give any accreditation for any such specialized media courses. In fact, AICTE does not even understand the media courses and hence no P.G college/institute offer the degree program. All private/nongovernment institutions (like CRAFT) offer one-year diploma programs. If you honestly ask, in the media industry nobody is concerned about your degree/ diploma/certificate. What they are looking at is your capability as event management/ director/cinematographer/ editor, your overall smart personality, good communication skills and understanding of your profession you have chosen.
13. Bank Loan Provision:
We do not have any
14. Management quota seats:-
There are 2- Management quota seats available in each course in which one can seek direct admission without an interview. One has to pay additional Rs 20,000/-(rupees twenty thousand for blocking the seat) besides regular fee.
15.Placement Support: Students having 85% attendance in the 1st semester will get internship in A production house/Independent director based in Mumbai.
In meticulously compiled a list recognizing who are the "Top 4 Delhi Film Schools". CRAFT Film School for being featured as #1 on their list!
click here to read more about it
Short Term 3-months course is meant for thsoe who are already working in the field for past 1-2 years and wants to refine thier Carft
.Kindly write to us at
we wills end you all the details.Fee Rs 55,000/-
Part time 6-months Course is desined for working proffestionals of Delhi NCR who wants To Check out if they can Really make it as Full Time professtion.
They can not leave thier Job but still wants to Figure out.
Please send us a mail for complte Deatils at
You will be glad to know that we are ALSO going to offer online courses, besides our regular classroom training From First week of September 2020
pl write to us for more detailed at
This List is my 50 Books which ,Naresh sharma, Director have read them all and highly recommended to anyone who would like to get into the depth of Film Direction and Screenplay Writting.
1. Sculpting in Time: Andrey Tarkovsky
2.Grammer of Film Language.
3.FIVE C'S OF CINEMATOGRAPHY
Recommended Reading :
For History of cinema :
1. The Liveliest Art by Arthur Knight
2. History of Film by Virginia Wexman
3. History of Cinema by Eric Rhode
4. How To Read A Film by James Monaco
5. Hindi Cinema Ka Itihaas (Hindi) by Manmohan Chaddha
For Role of Editor, Justification, Continuity, Editing Principles,
1. The Technique of Film & Video by Ken Dancynger
2. Five Cs of Cinematography by Joseph Mascelli
3. Grammar of the Film Language by Daniel Arijon : Silman-James Press, Los Angeles
4. Film Direction Shot By Shot by Steven Katz
5. Film Art by David Bordwel & Kristin Thomson
6. Hitchcock by Truffaut’,
7. In the blink of an eye by Walter Murch,
8. Directing by David Mamet,
9. Making Movies by Sidney Lumet.
For Linear, Non-linear, Creating Sequence on Timeline :
1. Digital Non-linear Editing by Thomas Ohanian
For Dialogue, Comedy, Action :
2. The Technique of Film Editing by Karel Reisz & Gavin Millar: Focal Press
3. The Technique of Film and Video Editing: History, Theory, and Practice
Book by Ken Dancyger
These Interviews were conducted by Editor, naresh shrama ," Cinematography Art Magazine ",on variety of people behind the camera.
Directors On Cinematography: